COVID - 19 Updates
First, we appreciate all our customers for being patient, understanding, cooperative and respectful as we navigate our way on new roads! Thank you!
Now some updates from us at Young Drivers Chatham.
**NEW** A self-directed Online Classroom Course - Available Now. Click below for more information
This course has been developed in-house using the same great techniques that Young Drivers has been teaching for the last 50 years!
Classroom (Virtual, Online and In-Person) Updates
- All summer long we held our classroom sessions virtually, via Zoom. These sessions were very popular with our customers however we do not have permission to run them past August 31, 2020. So we will be resuming in-person classes in the fall at all our locations alongwith an option to do class online using our new self-directed course. Click above for details
- Our in-person classes will have reduced capacity this fall to ensure adequate social distancing so please register for your course early to avoid disappointment.
- We have all safety protocols in place to ensure your or your loved ones safety. Click here for our detailed SOP.
Driving Lesson Updates
- Our Driving lessons have resumed with detailed safety protocols in place. Click here for more details on how we are keeping you and our community safe.
- As you can imagine we have a backlog of several months of driving lessons to deliver. Our instructors are very busy and are now booking well into the fall for driving lessons. If you have a timeline you are trying to make, please talk to one of us at the office to ensure we can make it work, before you sign up.
DriveTest and Road Test Updates
- DriveTest started administering G2 Road Tests on August 4, 2020
- G Road Tests resumed on September 8, 2020
- As DriveTest resumes its full services, they are trying to see how things will work with examiners safety, so they are releasing Road Test availability slowly. Currently most areas are booking Road Tests in January/February 2021. This is a moving target so if checking tests dates in September, the availability could be all the way to March 2021. DriveTest also blocks off all dates from time to time and we are not able to book any tests. As soon as tests are available again, we go in and book them. So please bear with us as we work with DriveTest's availability.
- If your licence is expiring soon or has already expired this year or if you won't be able to finish your Young Drivers course within a year, please do not worry. The Ministry of Transportation has extended all these dates. Click here for FAQ's and information from DriveTest.
NOTE: These updates are as of September 2020. Lesson and Road Test dates are constantly changing so please contact us at 519-351-8305 for the latest information.
Our Chatham Classroom is located at 179 King Street West. We are near the corner of King and Fourth across from Glitter's Restaurant. Located between the Capitol Theatre and the Downtown Chatham Centre, there is plenty of free parking in the area. If taking the bus, take any city bus to the downtown terminal and we are within walking distance.
Please note that this is a classroom location only. Our Administrative Office and friendly staff members are available by telephone Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at 519-351-8305. We look forward to hearing from you.
Why Young Drivers?
Teaching life-saving defensive driving skills and preparing students to pass the road test the first time!
Why Young Drivers, you say? Why not another driving school? We say Young Drivers Chatham is your only choice in driver training as we are the only school that trains customers in four habits and twenty sub-habits of the exclusive YOUNG DRIVERS APPROACH TO COLLISIONFREE! DRIVING. After 49 years of experience training novices, Young Drivers has found that this is the best way to learn how to drive safe for a lifetime!
But, that’s not all! As if safe driving habits for life weren’t enough incentive here are some other reasons to take driver’s ed with YD!
- The Best Driving Instructors - We have driving instructors that understand the difficulties that you will face while driving. They are passionate about teaching you how to drive and survive. They are patient. They are also properly insured, highly-trained, friendly and re-certified on a yearly basis to keep their skills fresh and updated.
- Comprehensive Driver Training Program - Our driver training will prepare you for everything that you need to know such as vehicle operation, turns, parallel parking, stall parking, 3-point turns, hill parking, traffic merging, highway and freeway driving, safe passing, etc.
- Evasive Maneuvers – Rear Crash Avoidance, Head On Collision Avoidance, Gravel shoulder Recovery, Emergency Braking, etc. are all maneuvers taught in car, not only in class or on a simulator.
- Flexible varied in-class schedules – We have daytime, evening and weekend classes available. Start on one course and finish during another – there is flexibility if you cannot attend all the dates for one course.
- Daytime, Evening and Weekend in-car lessons available – driving lessons available to suit your busy lifestyle.
- Payment Plans – We offer flexible, customisable payment plans with no additional charges or fees.
- MTO Approved – Our full course enables you to do your road test sooner and makes you eligible for the best Insurance Discounts!
- ISO 9001 Certified – The only driving school that has met the certification requirements of the international Standards Organisation!
If you have further questions about our program or how we are the best choice for your driver training, please do not hesitate to Contact Us. Our staff members will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
YOUNG DRIVERS DOES DRIVER TRAINING RIGHT - BECAUSE WE KNOW ITS IMPORTANT!
Nervous about the Driving Lessons? Never been in a car? Don’t worry, we have you covered.
Your lessons will progress based on your ability and skills. Young Drivers Chatham instructors provide what is called competency-based education. Does it make sense to throw you in the deep end of the pool if you have never been in the water before? Would it make sense to put you on the freeway or have you drive in full traffic on your first driving lesson if you have never driven a car before? At Young Drivers we will:
Start you in a parking lot.
- Show you how all of the controls work in the car such as how to set up your mirrors properly, where the blind spots are in the car, etc.
- Backing and steering exercises to make sure you know how to control the car.
- Hand over hand exercises to make sure you know how to steer properly.
- Creeping exercises to teach you how to control the speed of your car for 3-point turns, parallel parks, etc.
Progress to side streets when you are ready/comfortable
- Right- and left-hand turns at small and large intersections
- Right of way at intersections
- Curb judgement
Progress to busier roads and one-way streets
Then freeway driving and so on….
We space the lessons out so that you can get practice in between each lesson since practice is how you get good at any skill.
Not going to get any practice? Just let us know when scheduling your lessons and we can customise your lesson plan based on your situation.
Whatever your needs, Young Drivers has you covered!